Sanskrit: Nadi = Energychannel, Shodhana = Purification
Nadi Shodhana, also known as Nadi Shuddhi or Alternate Nostril Breathing, is a very powerful breathing technique. The main purpose of Nadi Shodhana is the purification of subtle energy channels while balancing its masculine and feminine aspects. Here i am explaining the first stage of Nadi Shodhana.
- This yogic breathing technique should be done on an empty stomach.
- Make sure that you will not be interrupted during the practice. Switch off your phone and keep pets away.
- Nadi Shodhana is very simple and easy. Anybody can do it.
- If you wear glasses, please keep them aside while doing Yoga practices.
- Sit in any crossed-leg position, which is comfortable for you.
- Keep the spine erect and close your eyes.
- Place your hands on your thighs in chin mudra, that means the tips of the thumb and index finger are touching. Keep all other fingers relaxed and straight.
- Keep your right hand in Vishnu mudra by folding your index and middle finger. The ring and little finger are held straight.
- Block your right nostril with your thumb and inhale through your left nostril, then exhale through the same nostril.
- Now change your fingers. Close your left nostril with the ring finger and inhale through the right nostril. When the inhalation is completed, exhale through the right nostril.
- Again block the right nostril and open the left. Inhale and exhale.
- Continue like this for at least 4 minutes and focus on your breath.
- Breathe as slowly and gently as you can.
- There should be no sound.
- It is very important, that you inhale and exhale fully.
- Do not keep the head down nor turn it to one side. The head should be straight.
Benefits of Nadi Shodhana:
- It purifies the element Air in our body
- Clears and releases toxins
- It purifies the blood
- It enriches the blood with oxygen
- Helps to balance hormones
- It balances the nervous system
- Reduces stress, anxiety and helps to relieve headaches
- It cleanses and strengthens the respiratory system
- Brings balance to the left and right hemispheres of the brain
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to write a comment! We would also like to hear which effects of this practice you can feel?